Van is from a poor family with many siblings. They are from a small village where there is no hospital or clinic. Her Uncle, who is a pastor, took her in so that she could attend the Stand by Me school to help her with her education.
The family had a small sugarcane juice shop for an income to add to the pastor's small salary. One day when her uncle was pressing the sugar cane with a machine, his hand was crushed and he lost three of his fingers so he gave up this work. Not long after that, her Aunt (his wife) became physically weak and unwell and needs to see the doctor regularly. It has become difficult for this family to pay the school fees and also the aunt's hospital bills on a small salary.
Van helps her aunt with the housework and also studies well. Van is a clever girl who is working hard to reach her ambition of becoming a nurse one day.
In Myanmar (formerly known as Burma), families live in isolated villages, days away from the nearest town. Straw huts with bare bamboo walls are home to people who labour in the scorching sun day after day just to scrape by. While in recent years, western embargos have been lifted, people are still trapped in poverty with 29% of children suffering from stunting due to malnutrition. Although education for children is compulsory, hundreds of thousands of children do not have access to school and for those who do, the many obstacles they face result in 6 out of 10 children dropping out before the age of 14
Today we are providing loving care to orphaned children from persecuted minorities in our purpose built children’s villages. Our schools are prioritising education for at risk and children. Through identifying and raising up quality teachers we’re inspiring a new generation to rise above their circumstances and reach their potential.
92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Van. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.
When you sponsor Van you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.
We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.
Ask us anything. We’ve helped sponsors change 1000s of kids’ lives, and we know it can be a big decision. We’re here to help you every step of the way.