Kam lived with his mother, father and sister in a rented house. His friends call him "Piangpu." His father was a taxi driver and his mother took care of the home, grew vegetables in the garden, and cared for chickens and ducks to help provide for their needs. Sadly since that time his mother has passed away after becoming unwell and Kam's father was not able to care for them.
A pastor visited the children and brought them to the Stand by Me home, where with continued sponsorship support, he will have access to what he needs in a loving environment. Kam enjoys living at the home and is so grateful for the kindness he is being shown.
In Myanmar (formerly known as Burma), families live in isolated villages, days away from the nearest town. Straw huts with bare bamboo walls are home to people who labour in the scorching sun day after day just to scrape by. While in recent years, western embargos have been lifted, people are still trapped in poverty with 29% of children suffering from stunting due to malnutrition. Although education for children is compulsory, hundreds of thousands of children do not have access to school and for those who do, the many obstacles they face result in 6 out of 10 children dropping out before the age of 14
Today we are providing loving care to orphaned children from persecuted minorities in our purpose built children’s villages. Our schools are prioritising education for at risk and children. Through identifying and raising up quality teachers we’re inspiring a new generation to rise above their circumstances and reach their potential.
92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Kam. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.
When you sponsor Kam you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.
We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.
Ask us anything. We’ve helped sponsors change 1000s of kids’ lives, and we know it can be a big decision. We’re here to help you every step of the way.