Meet Siang

Aged 10, Myanmar

Siang is the youngest son in the family and he has three siblings. His father is an evangelist and his mother is a tailor. They rent a house, and live with the owner in a compound, sharing the water and electricity. His father has no regular work, but his mother works every day. However, their income is insufficient to cover the family's daily needs, the house rent and the children's school fees, so Siang was gladly accepted into the GCEC school for support and help. 

Siang has passed his early grades and is a bright student. He loves asking good questions. Siang loves drawing, cycling and playing games. He wants to become a pastor one day. He has a compassionate heart towards others.

Where Siang lives

In Myanmar (formerly known as Burma), families live in isolated villages, days away from the nearest town. Straw huts with bare bamboo walls are home to people who labour in the scorching sun day after day just to scrape by. While in recent years, western embargos have been lifted, people are still trapped in poverty with 29% of children suffering from stunting due to malnutrition. Although education for children is compulsory, hundreds of thousands of children do not have access to school and for those who do, the many obstacles they face result in 6 out of 10 children dropping out before the age of 14

Today we are providing loving care to orphaned children from persecuted minorities in our purpose built children’s villages. Our schools are prioritising education for at risk and children. Through identifying and raising up quality teachers we’re inspiring a new generation to rise above their circumstances and reach their potential. 

How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Siang. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Siang you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Stand by... almost there...