Meet Htay

Aged 7, Myanmar

Htay is from a village in Myanmar. She has grown up there with her parents and little sister. In their village there has been a lot of fighting due to the political conflict in Myanmar. Schools have been closed and her parents have found it very difficult to find work. Her father is also unwell, which has made life even more difficult for the family. Often the family have only rice to eat, and sometimes Htay went hungry. 

Due to the challenges they were facing Htay's mother brought her to the Stand by Me Mesha Children's Village, where some of the other children from the same village are receiving life-changing care. Through sponsorship support, Htay will receive nutritious food, access to healthcare, the opportunity of an education and the loving support of the Stand by Me family. 

When she first arrived Htay did not speak much, and was very shy but now she is so happy to play with the other children and has become very talkative. Htay was malnourished, but is now receiving nutritional supplements. She tried meat for the first time and said it was delicious. Htay likes sports shirts, playing football, riding the bicycle and spicy food.

Where Htay lives

In Myanmar (formerly known as Burma), families live in isolated villages, days away from the nearest town. Straw huts with bare bamboo walls are home to people who labour in the scorching sun day after day just to scrape by. While in recent years, western embargos have been lifted, people are still trapped in poverty with 29% of children suffering from stunting due to malnutrition. Although education for children is compulsory, hundreds of thousands of children do not have access to school and for those who do, the many obstacles they face result in 6 out of 10 children dropping out before the age of 14

Today we are providing loving care to orphaned children from persecuted minorities in our purpose built children’s villages. Our schools are prioritising education for at risk and children. Through identifying and raising up quality teachers we’re inspiring a new generation to rise above their circumstances and reach their potential. 

How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Htay. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Htay you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Stand by... almost there...