Meet Cung

Aged 9, Myanmar

Cung has two brothers and a sister. Her father is a driver and her mother takes care of the children. They depend on their father's wages, but he does not earn enough to supply all their daily needs, including all their education costs. 

By being part of the Stand by Me sponsorship programme Cung will be supported and encouraged and receive a quality education and this in turn will be a help to the whole family. 

Cung loves talking and likes to tell stories to her parents. She also likes to help cook and plant flowers. Cung loves to play with dolls and sometimes she pretends to be a doctor and her doll is the patient. She says she would like to be a nurse one day and help the sick.

Where Cung lives

In Myanmar (formerly known as Burma), families live in isolated villages, days away from the nearest town. Straw huts with bare bamboo walls are home to people who labour in the scorching sun day after day just to scrape by. While in recent years, western embargos have been lifted, people are still trapped in poverty with 29% of children suffering from stunting due to malnutrition. Although education for children is compulsory, hundreds of thousands of children do not have access to school and for those who do, the many obstacles they face result in 6 out of 10 children dropping out before the age of 14

Today we are providing loving care to orphaned children from persecuted minorities in our purpose built children’s villages. Our schools are prioritising education for at risk and children. Through identifying and raising up quality teachers we’re inspiring a new generation to rise above their circumstances and reach their potential. 

How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Cung. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Cung you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Stand by... almost there...