Meet Nuam

Aged 11, Myanmar

Nuam is the eldest of three children. She lives with her family in a small bamboo home which belongs to a relative and is next to a monastery. 

Her father works at a wood cutting mill and earns a few pounds each day. During the rainy season the work is less frequent. They have no furniture and all sleep on the floor. Their income is not enough to support their daily living or the children's schooling. 

Nuam is a very helpful girl. She helps her mother by taking good care of her younger brothers.  She enjoys school and learning new things. She is intelligent and responsible, kind-hearted and thoughtful. She enjoys dancing, drawing and colouring and is very interested in computers and loves dogs. She also enjoys attending Sunday school. She is aiming to become a medical doctor one day.

Where Nuam lives

In Myanmar (formerly known as Burma), families live in isolated villages, days away from the nearest town. Straw huts with bare bamboo walls are home to people who labour in the scorching sun day after day just to scrape by. While in recent years, western embargos have been lifted, people are still trapped in poverty with 29% of children suffering from stunting due to malnutrition. Although education for children is compulsory, hundreds of thousands of children do not have access to school and for those who do, the many obstacles they face result in 6 out of 10 children dropping out before the age of 14

Today we are providing loving care to orphaned children from persecuted minorities in our purpose built children’s villages. Our schools are prioritising education for at risk and children. Through identifying and raising up quality teachers we’re inspiring a new generation to rise above their circumstances and reach their potential. 

How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Nuam. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Nuam you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Contact form image
Stand by... almost there...