Joseph was born in a small village where there was civil war. His father was in the Army. His mother was a school teacher not appointed by the government but gave small amount of salary by the villagers. When Joseph was around two years old, his father was killed in the war. Joseph's mother took the family and fled from the village with no possessions. Joseph is the youngest child in the family. Joseph's mum is not healthy and was unable to look after her children well. She therefore brought Jospeh to Stand by Me and he joined one of our homes to be cared for. He enjoys music and drawing. He loves playing football and running with his friends.
In Myanmar (formerly known as Burma), families live in isolated villages, days away from the nearest town. Straw huts with bare bamboo walls are home to people who labour in the scorching sun day after day just to scrape by. While in recent years, western embargos have been lifted, people are still trapped in poverty with 29% of children suffering from stunting due to malnutrition. Although education for children is compulsory, hundreds of thousands of children do not have access to school and for those who do, the many obstacles they face result in 6 out of 10 children dropping out before the age of 14
Today we are providing loving care to orphaned children from persecuted minorities in our purpose built children’s villages. Our schools are prioritising education for at risk and children. Through identifying and raising up quality teachers we’re inspiring a new generation to rise above their circumstances and reach their potential.
92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Joseph. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.
When you sponsor Joseph you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.
We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.
Ask us anything. We’ve helped sponsors change 1000s of kids’ lives, and we know it can be a big decision. We’re here to help you every step of the way.