Meet Jamileth

Aged 13, Colombia

Jamileth was born in Venezuela but is now living in Colombia with her parents and sisters. They live in a house with a zinc roof and a sand floor. There is electricity but no running water and they cook on an electrical stove or with fire. There is no bathroom. They get their water from a neighbour’s well. Jamileth’s father works on a farm to provide for his family. His wife stays at home taking care of the children, but they struggle to cover all their daily needs.

By joining the programme, she receives nutritional and educational support, amongst many other benefits. 

Jamileth's favourite subject is math as she likes solving problems. She likes to play football and skipping and play with dolls. Jamileth would like to become a nurse.

Where Jamileth lives

The gulf between the haves and the have-nots in Colombia is alarming. Decades of civil war and conflict have resulted in a country plagued by violence and murder. For six million children deep in poverty, a lack of educational opportunities and malnutrition is an everyday reality. Children have severe health issues worsened due to not being able to afford medical treatment. Many children suffer from psychological problems as a result of neglect, abuse and violence experienced in their homes.

We established a care centre in 2015 to support families through educational provision, meals, counselling, training and housing support. Every day, our children come to our care centre eager to learn, play and receive emotional support. 


How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Jamileth. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Jamileth you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Stand by... almost there...