Dana lives with her parents, brother and other relatives. They do not have drinking water at home, and also the small space they have means that Dana has to share a bedroom with relatives. Her father works trying to provide for his family but it is not easy.
When her father learned about the Care Centre, he wanted Dana to enter the sponsorship programme so she could receive extra help with her school lessons.
Dana’s favourite subject is Art. She enjoys making crafts, drawing and colouring. Her favourite colour is pink. Dana attends the local church with her family and says that one day she would like to become a doctor to help those who are sick.
The gulf between the haves and the have-nots in Colombia is alarming. Decades of civil war and conflict have resulted in a country plagued by violence and murder. For six million children deep in poverty, a lack of educational opportunities and malnutrition is an everyday reality. Children have severe health issues worsened due to not being able to afford medical treatment. Many children suffer from psychological problems as a result of neglect, abuse and violence experienced in their homes.
We established a care centre in 2015 to support families through educational provision, meals, counselling, training and housing support. Every day, our children come to our care centre eager to learn, play and receive emotional support.
92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Dana. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.
When you sponsor Dana you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.
We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.
Ask us anything. We’ve helped sponsors change 1000s of kids’ lives, and we know it can be a big decision. We’re here to help you every step of the way.