Meet Jairo

Aged 12, Colombia

Jairo lives with his grandparents, mother, sister and a cousin. Jairo’s mother works as a manicurist and her income is low and variable, so Jairo's grandparents help provide for his needs. Jairo and his family live in challenging living conditions at home, having to share beds and with no drinking water. Jairo was accepted into the Care Centre programme so that he could receive support with his school work, healthy meals, medical and emotional support and good teaching for life. Jairo attends a local church with his family. He enjoys Social Studies as he likes to learn about places and other people. In his free time he likes to play with his sister, and to play football.  He’d love to be a professional football player when he grows up.   

   

Where Jairo lives

The gulf between the haves and the have-nots in Colombia is alarming. Decades of civil war and conflict have resulted in a country plagued by violence and murder. For six million children deep in poverty, a lack of educational opportunities and malnutrition is an everyday reality. Children have severe health issues worsened due to not being able to afford medical treatment. Many children suffer from psychological problems as a result of neglect, abuse and violence experienced in their homes.

We established a care centre in 2015 to support families through educational provision, meals, counselling, training and housing support. Every day, our children come to our care centre eager to learn, play and receive emotional support. 

 

How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Jairo. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Jairo you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Stand by... almost there...