Meet Yhojan

Aged 10, Colombia

Yhojan lives with his parents, brother and sister. They live in an unfinished house which has a zinc roof. The entire family share a bedroom and the two brothers sleep on a mat. There is no access to drinking water at home.  Yhojan’s father works on a farm, but the income is low and does not cover all their needs.  Yhojan is a child in need of educational and nutritional support.  With sponsorship, at the Stand By Me Care Centre he will have daily lessons to help him improve in his studies and he will receive a nutritious lunch. 

Yhojan enjoys learning English and in his free time he likes riding a bicycle and playing football.  He dreams of becoming a professional football player in the future.

Where Yhojan lives

The gulf between the haves and the have-nots in Colombia is alarming. Decades of civil war and conflict have resulted in a country plagued by violence and murder. For six million children deep in poverty, a lack of educational opportunities and malnutrition is an everyday reality. Children have severe health issues worsened due to not being able to afford medical treatment. Many children suffer from psychological problems as a result of neglect, abuse and violence experienced in their homes.

We established a care centre in 2015 to support families through educational provision, meals, counselling, training and housing support. Every day, our children come to our care centre eager to learn, play and receive emotional support. 


How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Yhojan. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Yhojan you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Stand by... almost there...