Meet Gloria

Aged 10, Colombia

Gloria lives with her parents and older brother in a shack made of wattle and daub with a zinc roof and a sand floor. The conditions are not good and even though there is electricity, there is no running water. They fetch their water from the river and go there to bathe and wash their clothes. Gloria’s father earns his living on a farm and is the provider for this family. 

Due to the conditions and their low income, Gloria was accepted into our programme, where with sponsorship support she has access to an education and daily meals.   

Gloria loves art and she enjoys playing with dolls and kitchen toys. She also likes bowling with her friends. She would like to become a police woman when she grows up.

Where Gloria lives

The gulf between the haves and the have-nots in Colombia is alarming. Decades of civil war and conflict have resulted in a country plagued by violence and murder. For six million children deep in poverty, a lack of educational opportunities and malnutrition is an everyday reality. Children have severe health issues worsened due to not being able to afford medical treatment. Many children suffer from psychological problems as a result of neglect, abuse and violence experienced in their homes.

We established a care centre in 2015 to support families through educational provision, meals, counselling, training and housing support. Every day, our children come to our care centre eager to learn, play and receive emotional support. 


How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Gloria. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Gloria you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Stand by... almost there...