Meet Eliasid

Aged 11, Colombia

Eliasid lives with his family, his mum, his two older brothers and a sister and nephew. His mum works as a cleaner and his father works as a freelancer, but he does not live at home. He earns according to how much his work is in demand. The family find it difficult to cover all of their daily needs. At home the family collect water from a deep well and they take their showers in the backyard.

Eliasid has a smile on his face most of the time. He finds it easy to make friends and relates well with others and is a respectful and supportive boy. He has good behaviour both at home and at the Care Centre and is happy to now be part of the Stand by Me programme, where with sponsorship support he can thrive. He enjoys joining in with the different activities, and loves time with his classmates. He is also able to reinforce his school knowledge here.  

In his free time, Elasid enjoys playing with his friends, including a game of football. He also enjoys riding a bike. His favourite food is plantain with eggs, chicken and rice. He enjoys guava juice. Elasid attends church regularly. His ambition is to be a policeman when he grows up.

Where Eliasid lives

The gulf between the haves and the have-nots in Colombia is alarming. Decades of civil war and conflict have resulted in a country plagued by violence and murder. For six million children deep in poverty, a lack of educational opportunities and malnutrition is an everyday reality. Children have severe health issues worsened due to not being able to afford medical treatment. Many children suffer from psychological problems as a result of neglect, abuse and violence experienced in their homes.

We established a care centre in 2015 to support families through educational provision, meals, counselling, training and housing support. Every day, our children come to our care centre eager to learn, play and receive emotional support. 

 

How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Eliasid. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Eliasid you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Stand by... almost there...