Kerem lives with her parents and older brother who is already part of the Care Centre programme. Kerem's father works on a farm and tries to provide for the family. Some parts of their house are still in need of work and repair and the running water is not drinkable so they usually have to buy their water. Kerem’s parents wanted her to attend the Care Centre too, as they understand the importance of the academic assistance and the guidance the children receive there. By being part of the sponsorship programme Kerem will receive nutritious food, help with her school work, and medical assistance.
Kerem loves art, crafts and colouring. Her favourite colour is pink. In her free time she likes to play with dolls and says that when she grows up she'd like to become a doctor.
The gulf between the haves and the have-nots in Colombia is alarming. Decades of civil war and conflict have resulted in a country plagued by violence and murder. For six million children deep in poverty, a lack of educational opportunities and malnutrition is an everyday reality. Children have severe health issues worsened due to not being able to afford medical treatment. Many children suffer from psychological problems as a result of neglect, abuse and violence experienced in their homes.
We established a care centre in 2015 to support families through educational provision, meals, counselling, training and housing support. Every day, our children come to our care centre eager to learn, play and receive emotional support.
92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Kerem. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.
When you sponsor Kerem you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.
We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.
Ask us anything. We’ve helped sponsors change 1000s of kids’ lives, and we know it can be a big decision. We’re here to help you every step of the way.