Alan lives with his mum, dad, two siblings and two cousins. They live in a house which belongs to his grandfather. The house has only one bedroom and the bathroom is in a poor condition. While the family have electricity, they do not have clean water. Sometimes the family wash in the river and they draw water from a well to wash their clothes at home. Alan's dad works as a construction worker and his mum is a housewife but they find it difficult to provide for all the family's needs.
With sponsorship support Alan can attend the Stand by Me Care Centre where he is provided with nutritious food, an opportunity to play with his friends and receives vital educational support.
Alan enjoys going to school and his favourite subject is math. He loves doing homework. Alan is a happy and kind child. In his free time he likes to watch television and play. He also enjoys writing and painting. His favourite sport is football, and he loves to ride his bike. Alan's favourite colour is red and he likes to eat meat and rice. Sometimes Alan attends church with his family where he enjoys the worship time. When he grows up he wants to be a policeman.
The gulf between the haves and the have-nots in Colombia is alarming. Decades of civil war and conflict have resulted in a country plagued by violence and murder. For six million children deep in poverty, a lack of educational opportunities and malnutrition is an everyday reality. Children have severe health issues worsened due to not being able to afford medical treatment. Many children suffer from psychological problems as a result of neglect, abuse and violence experienced in their homes.
We established a care centre in 2015 to support families through educational provision, meals, counselling, training and housing support. Every day, our children come to our care centre eager to learn, play and receive emotional support.
92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Alan. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.
When you sponsor Alan you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.
We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.
Ask us anything. We’ve helped sponsors change 1000s of kids’ lives, and we know it can be a big decision. We’re here to help you every step of the way.