Meet Juan

Aged 8, Colombia

Juan lives with his grandma, his older brother and his uncle in a house that belongs to a relative. Sadly both of his parents have passed away. Juan receives some financial support from relatives, but it is not always enough and the family find it difficult to provide for all their needs. Their home has three bedrooms but the bathroom is in a poor condition. They have electricity and gas, but they do not have clean water. They have to buy water for drinking and cooking. Juan shares his bedroom with his grandma and his brother. 

With sponsorship provision Juan can attend the Stand by Me Care Centre where he can enjoy meeting with his friends, receive nutritious food, access to healthcare and vital educational support.

Juan is a funny, happy and well behaved child. He enjoys going to school, because he likes to learn new things and his favourite subject is Art. In his free time Juan likes watching TV and playing with a cousin's toy guitar. His favourite colour is red and he enjoys eating rice with eggs. He sometimes attends a Christian church with his family, and he enjoys the songs. When he grows up he wants to be a chef because he enjoys helping his grandma while she is cooking. She dreams that Juan and his brother would finish their education.

Where Juan lives

The gulf between the haves and the have-nots in Colombia is alarming. Decades of civil war and conflict have resulted in a country plagued by violence and murder. For six million children deep in poverty, a lack of educational opportunities and malnutrition is an everyday reality. Children have severe health issues worsened due to not being able to afford medical treatment. Many children suffer from psychological problems as a result of neglect, abuse and violence experienced in their homes.

We established a care centre in 2015 to support families through educational provision, meals, counselling, training and housing support. Every day, our children come to our care centre eager to learn, play and receive emotional support. 

 

How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Juan. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Juan you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Stand by... almost there...