Josue lives with his family in a 3-bedroom house owned by his step-father. It does not have clean water. They take the water from a relative's home who has a filter. His mum Janine is a housewife and sometimes sells cheese on the streets. She is learning about agriculture to find a way to get more income. Josue does not live with his father, but his dad does contribute to his upbringing when he has enough money. Josue lives with his stepfather Luis who works in construction where he earns according to the demand. Josue's sister Maria, aged 15, and another relative also live with them. They find it difficult to cover all the family's needs. Josue is in 2nd grade at elementary school, and his favourite subject is math. He enjoys going to school, because he likes to know about new things. He is easy-going, happy, loving and well-behaved. When he grows up, he would like to be a football player to get a good salary in order to fix the water system at home. In his free time, he likes to dance to worship music, try and play his cousin's guitar, draw his family, and play with his friends using his favourite toy fire truck. His favourite colour is blue and he enjoys eating chicken or fish. He sometimes attends a Christian church with his family where he enjoys listening to the Word of God, and singing worship songs.
The gulf between the haves and the have-nots in Colombia is alarming. Decades of civil war and conflict have resulted in a country plagued by violence and murder. For six million children deep in poverty, a lack of educational opportunities and malnutrition is an everyday reality. Children have severe health issues worsened due to not being able to afford medical treatment. Many children suffer from psychological problems as a result of neglect, abuse and violence experienced in their homes.
We established a care centre in 2015 to support families through educational provision, meals, counselling, training and housing support. Every day, our children come to our care centre eager to learn, play and receive emotional support.
92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Josue. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.
When you sponsor Josue you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.
We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.
Ask us anything. We’ve helped sponsors change 1000s of kids’ lives, and we know it can be a big decision. We’re here to help you every step of the way.