Meet Diosangela

Aged 7, Colombia

Diosangela lives with her family in a one-bedroom house. It consists of walls with a cement floor, and a ceiling that leaks. They have a living room and a kitchen and bathroom, but in a poor condition. They have electricity and gas from a cylinder, but they do not have clean water. They take it from a river or a well to take showers and to wash their clothes. Her father Henris works in construction earning less than the minimum wage. Her mum Kasandra is a housewife. Her siblings are Kenyer and Alan. The family find it difficult to cover all their needs.

By being part of the Stand by Me sponsorship programme Diosangela can access support with her academic performance along with nutritious food. 

Diosangela's favourite subject is math. She enjoys going to school to learn new things. She is outgoing and extroverted. She would like to be a teacher. She loves drawing flowers with her favourite colour pink. Her hobbies are reading her lessons, watching TV, and playing with her dolls. She likes to eat chips, sausages, meat and rice. She sometimes attends a Christian church with her family, where she enjoys singing.

Where Diosangela lives

The gulf between the haves and the have-nots in Colombia is alarming. Decades of civil war and conflict have resulted in a country plagued by violence and murder. For six million children deep in poverty, a lack of educational opportunities and malnutrition is an everyday reality. Children have severe health issues worsened due to not being able to afford medical treatment. Many children suffer from psychological problems as a result of neglect, abuse and violence experienced in their homes.

We established a care centre in 2015 to support families through educational provision, meals, counselling, training and housing support. Every day, our children come to our care centre eager to learn, play and receive emotional support. 

 

How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Diosangela. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Diosangela you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Stand by... almost there...