Meet Adriana

Aged 16, Colombia

Adriana is the eldest daughter in her family. She lives with her parents and two sisters in a house in a poor condition. They have no running water in the kitchen, but they collect water from a well on a nearby farm. Adriana's father is a farm worker but he is not able to cover all the family's needs from this income.   

With sponsorship support Adriana at the Stand by Me centre has the opportunity to receive healthy food, help with her school work and medical assistance along with enjoyable activities.  

Adriana enjoys athletics and in particular running. She says that her ambition is to be an electronics engineer.

Where Adriana lives

The gulf between the haves and the have-nots in Colombia is alarming. Decades of civil war and conflict have resulted in a country plagued by violence and murder. For six million children deep in poverty, a lack of educational opportunities and malnutrition is an everyday reality. Children have severe health issues worsened due to not being able to afford medical treatment. Many children suffer from psychological problems as a result of neglect, abuse and violence experienced in their homes.

We established a care centre in 2015 to support families through educational provision, meals, counselling, training and housing support. Every day, our children come to our care centre eager to learn, play and receive emotional support. 

 

How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Adriana. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Adriana you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Contact form image
Stand by... almost there...