Meet Laura

Aged 11, Colombia

Laura is the eldest in her family.  She lives with her parents and younger siblings. Their house is unfinished and it is not easy living there. Laura's father works on a farm and tries to provide for the family, whilst her mother takes care of the home and children. Their income is insufficient to cover all their daily needs. 

With sponsorship support at the Stand By Me Centre, Laura has the opportunity to receive nutritious food and academic and medical assistance.  This will help both her and be a blessing to the family. Laura enjoys numbers so Math is her favourite subject.  She also likes playing with dolls, and playing football with her siblings and friends.

Where Laura lives

The gulf between the haves and the have-nots in Colombia is alarming. Decades of civil war and conflict have resulted in a country plagued by violence and murder. For six million children deep in poverty, a lack of educational opportunities and malnutrition is an everyday reality. Children have severe health issues worsened due to not being able to afford medical treatment. Many children suffer from psychological problems as a result of neglect, abuse and violence experienced in their homes.

We established a care centre in 2015 to support families through educational provision, meals, counselling, training and housing support. Every day, our children come to our care centre eager to learn, play and receive emotional support. 

 

How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Laura. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Laura you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Contact form image
Stand by... almost there...