Meet Garish

Aged 14, Colombia

Garish lives with her grandmother, parents and sister. With limited space, she shares a bedroom with her grandmother and sister. Her father works on a farm making a small income per month, but they struggle with their daily needs. 

At the Stand by Me centre with sponsorship support, Garish has the opportunity to receive nutritious food, along with academic and medical assistance.

Garish enjoys English and her hobbies are singing and dancing. Her ambition is to become a paediatrician.

Where Garish lives

The gulf between the haves and the have-nots in Colombia is alarming. Decades of civil war and conflict have resulted in a country plagued by violence and murder. For six million children deep in poverty, a lack of educational opportunities and malnutrition is an everyday reality. Children have severe health issues worsened due to not being able to afford medical treatment. Many children suffer from psychological problems as a result of neglect, abuse and violence experienced in their homes.

We established a care centre in 2015 to support families through educational provision, meals, counselling, training and housing support. Every day, our children come to our care centre eager to learn, play and receive emotional support. 

 

How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Garish. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Garish you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Contact form image
Stand by... almost there...