Obsa is an only child and he lives with his grandparents and uncles. The family do not have much income or facilities, with drinking water coming from a nearby well. Obsa's parents left him to the care of his grandmother.
Learning of these difficulties, Obsa was accepted into the Stand by Me programme, where with sponsorship support he has access to an education, help, food and medical care.
Obsa is an active, friendly and confident boy. His favourite subjects are learning his native language and English. When he grows up he hopes to be a doctor. He enjoys playing a local game called ‘Hattuu fi Poolisii’ and he loves singing.
Ethiopia is one of the poorest countries in the world. Famine, HIV/Aids and extreme poverty have resulted in millions of orphans and a life of hardship for the majority of its population. Nearly one million children are orphaned as a result of HIV/Aids. A lack of investment in education and a high dependency on child labour has left five million children without access to an education. Educational opportunities for girls are lower than boys as they are expected to do domestic work or marry at an early age.
Our two schools, the Bethany School and the Abdi Academy are today providing the poorest children with a quality education, daily food, health care and family support. Our Children’s Village has two family homes which care for orphaned and at risk children.
92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Obsa. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.
When you sponsor Obsa you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.
We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.
Ask us anything. We’ve helped sponsors change 1000s of kids’ lives, and we know it can be a big decision. We’re here to help you every step of the way.