Meet Tamirat

Aged 9, Ethiopia

Tamirat lives with his mother, step-father and siblings. His father died when he was only three months old. Tamirat’s mum re-married and had more children. She began working as a daily labourer, but had to stop after falling ill. Tamirat's step-father now works as a daily labourer to try and earn a living for the family.

Learning of the difficulties, Stand by Me accepted Tamirat into the school, where with sponsorship support he has the opportunity of an education, daily meals and care. 

Tamirat likes learning English. He is a sociable boy with good relationships with both teachers and students. He enjoys playing football. Pasta with tomato sauce is his favourite food. Tamirat's ambition is to be a teacher one day.

Where Tamirat lives

Ethiopia is one of the poorest countries in the world. Famine, HIV/Aids and extreme poverty have resulted in millions of orphans and a life of hardship for the majority of its population. Nearly one million children are orphaned as a result of HIV/Aids. A lack of investment in education and a high dependency on child labour has left five million children without access to an education. Educational opportunities for girls are lower than boys as they are expected to do domestic work or marry at an early age.

Our two schools, the Bethany School and the Abdi Academy are today providing the poorest children with a quality education, daily food, health care and family support. Our Children’s Village has two family homes which care for orphaned and at risk children. 

How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Tamirat. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Tamirat you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Stand by... almost there...