Meet Worku

Aged 9, Ethiopia

Worku is the youngest of 8 children. Sadly he lost his father when he was a toddler. He lives with a sister whom has a physical limiting condition. She works with hand crafts to earn an income, but life is very difficult for them. 

Worku was accepted into the Stand by Me school after an assessment of his situation. Providing a meal has been a struggle for this family, but now with sponsorship support Worku can have access to an education and hot meals from the project. 

Worku enjoys playing on the swinging rope. English has become his favourite subject and his ambition is to be a teacher.

Where Worku lives

Ethiopia is one of the poorest countries in the world. Famine, HIV/Aids and extreme poverty have resulted in millions of orphans and a life of hardship for the majority of its population. Nearly one million children are orphaned as a result of HIV/Aids. A lack of investment in education and a high dependency on child labour has left five million children without access to an education. Educational opportunities for girls are lower than boys as they are expected to do domestic work or marry at an early age.

Our two schools, the Bethany School and the Abdi Academy are today providing the poorest children with a quality education, daily food, health care and family support. Our Children’s Village has two family homes which care for orphaned and at risk children. 

How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Worku. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Worku you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Stand by... almost there...