Meet Bedasa

Aged 7, Ethiopia

Bedasa lives with his father. His father works as a daily labourer and sells tea and bread at the local market to try and provide for their needs. They live in a rented one room house, sleeping on an old mattress. Bedasa has two sisters and a brother who live with their granny who cares for them. 

Bedasa was accepted into the Stand by Me school, where with sponsorship support, he has access to a quality education, meals and health care.

Bedasa enjoys playing hide and seek and he likes cars. His favourite food is injera (a local bread) with boiled egg. Math is his favourite subject as he loves learning about numbers. Bedasa would like to be an engineer.

Where Bedasa lives

Ethiopia is one of the poorest countries in the world. Famine, HIV/Aids and extreme poverty have resulted in millions of orphans and a life of hardship for the majority of its population. Nearly one million children are orphaned as a result of HIV/Aids. A lack of investment in education and a high dependency on child labour has left five million children without access to an education. Educational opportunities for girls are lower than boys as they are expected to do domestic work or marry at an early age.

Our two schools, the Bethany School and the Abdi Academy are today providing the poorest children with a quality education, daily food, health care and family support. Our Children’s Village has two family homes which care for orphaned and at risk children. 

How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Bedasa. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Bedasa you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Stand by... almost there...