Meet Chala

Aged 6, Ethiopia

Chala lives with his three older siblings and his parents. His parents work as daily labourers to earn an income, but like many of the local families they struggle to make ends meet. They live in a one room rented mud house house with the children sleeping on a grass mattress on the floor.  

Chala has been accepted into the Stand by Me school where with support he can receive a great education, quality food, medical checks, school clothes and shoes. 

Chala is acheerful boy with a lovable personality. He likes football and helping his mum with simple tasks at home. When he grows up, Chala wants to be pilot.

Where Chala lives

Ethiopia is one of the poorest countries in the world. Famine, HIV/Aids and extreme poverty have resulted in millions of orphans and a life of hardship for the majority of its population. Nearly one million children are orphaned as a result of HIV/Aids. A lack of investment in education and a high dependency on child labour has left five million children without access to an education. Educational opportunities for girls are lower than boys as they are expected to do domestic work or marry at an early age.

Our two schools, the Bethany School and the Abdi Academy are today providing the poorest children with a quality education, daily food, health care and family support. Our Children’s Village has two family homes which care for orphaned and at risk children. 

How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Chala. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Chala you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Stand by... almost there...