Meet Olana

Aged 5, Ethiopia

Olana lives with his parents and his three younger sisters. His father is blind and is unable to work. His mother works selling local drinks at the market, but this is not a steady source of income, and it is very difficult to provide for the family's needs. 

The family live in a rented home which is in a poor condition and without furniture. They share a toilet with three other families. Olana has some health problems.

Having been accepted into the care of Stand by Me, with sponsorship support Olana will benefit from access to vital healthcare, regular nutritious meals and the opportunity of a life changing education. Olana has a smile on his face most of the time. He finds it easy to make friends and relates well with others and is a respectful and supportive boy. He behaves well both at home and at the school and is so happy to be part of the Stand by Me programme.

Olana enjoys playing with his friends, especially football. His favourite foods are eggs, chicken and rice. He attends church regularly with his family. When Olana grows up he would like to become a doctor.

Where Olana lives

Ethiopia is one of the poorest countries in the world. Famine, HIV/Aids and extreme poverty have resulted in millions of orphans and a life of hardship for the majority of its population. Nearly one million children are orphaned as a result of HIV/Aids. A lack of investment in education and a high dependency on child labour has left five million children without access to an education. Educational opportunities for girls are lower than boys as they are expected to do domestic work or marry at an early age.

Our two schools, the Bethany School and the Abdi Academy are today providing the poorest children with a quality education, daily food, health care and family support. Our Children’s Village has two family homes which care for orphaned and at risk children. 

How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Olana. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Olana you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Stand by... almost there...