Meet Nesriya

Aged 6, Ethiopia

Nesriya lives with her mother and her younger siblings in a rented two-room mud house. They share a compound with three other tenants. Sadly Nesriya's father left the family and so Nesriya's mother cares for the children alone. She works as a daily labourer washing clothese and baking local bread to earn some income. However, it is a struggle to provide for their daily needs.

Nesriya has been accepted into the care of Stand by Me, and with sponsorship support she has access to a nutritious diet, healthcare, uniform and shoes, and most importantly, a great quality education. Nesriya is a shy girl but she loves to learn. Science is her favourite subject and when she is older she aspires to be a nurse. Nesriya loves the colour red and enjoys playing dodgeball with her friends. Nesriya goes to a local mosque for worship.

Where Nesriya lives

Ethiopia is one of the poorest countries in the world. Famine, HIV/Aids and extreme poverty have resulted in millions of orphans and a life of hardship for the majority of its population. Nearly one million children are orphaned as a result of HIV/Aids. A lack of investment in education and a high dependency on child labour has left five million children without access to an education. Educational opportunities for girls are lower than boys as they are expected to do domestic work or marry at an early age.

Our two schools, the Bethany School and the Abdi Academy are today providing the poorest children with a quality education, daily food, health care and family support. Our Children’s Village has two family homes which care for orphaned and at risk children. 

How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Nesriya. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Nesriya you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Stand by... almost there...