Meet Mubarek

Aged 6, Ethiopia

Mubarek lives with his mother and older twin brothers in a small rented house, sharing a toilet with four other households. Sadly his father left the family leaving Mubarek's mother to care for her children. His mother works at a local market selling vegetables but the income is not enough to provide for all of the family's needs. The children sleep on an old wooden bed and grass mattress. Mubarek's older brothers attend the government school but it is a struggle to pay for school fees and educational resources.

Learning of their situation, Mubarek has been accepted into the care of Stand by Me, and with sponsorship support has access to a nutritious diet, healthcare, uniform and shoes, and most importantly, a great quality education.

Mubarek loves playing games with his friends and sometimes helps his mother with chores at home, such as shopping. He likes to play football and is a confident, well behaved and courageous boy. Mubarek comes to school with a smile on his face and eagerly attends class. Yellow is his favourite color. He would love to become a doctor because he wants to help other people.

Where Mubarek lives

Ethiopia is one of the poorest countries in the world. Famine, HIV/Aids and extreme poverty have resulted in millions of orphans and a life of hardship for the majority of its population. Nearly one million children are orphaned as a result of HIV/Aids. A lack of investment in education and a high dependency on child labour has left five million children without access to an education. Educational opportunities for girls are lower than boys as they are expected to do domestic work or marry at an early age.

Our two schools, the Bethany School and the Abdi Academy are today providing the poorest children with a quality education, daily food, health care and family support. Our Children’s Village has two family homes which care for orphaned and at risk children. 

How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Mubarek. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Mubarek you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Stand by... almost there...