Meet Mareshet

Aged 5, Ethiopia

Mareshet lives with her mother and her little brother. Sadly her parents divorced when she was younger and fulfilling the family's needs fell to her mother. Her mum works as a daily labourer at different households in the town to earn an income. The family live in a rented room with no facilities or furniture. It is very difficult for Mareshet's mother to provide for her children and paying school fees is impossible.

Learning of their situation, Mareshet has been accepted into the care of Stand by Me, and with sponsorship support she has access to a nutritious diet, healthcare, uniform and shoes, and most importantly, a great quality education. The family are delighted at this opportunity and Mareshet is excited to receive sponsorship. 

Mareshet always comes to school eagerly and she is so happy to be in her lovely classroom, receive proper meals and spend time with her classmates. Marshet is an active and confident girl with a great personality. She goes to a local church and enjoys singing songs. Purple is her favourite colour and she loves to eat potato stew with injera (a local bread). Her favourite subject is English and her ambition is to become a teacher.

Where Mareshet lives

Ethiopia is one of the poorest countries in the world. Famine, HIV/Aids and extreme poverty have resulted in millions of orphans and a life of hardship for the majority of its population. Nearly one million children are orphaned as a result of HIV/Aids. A lack of investment in education and a high dependency on child labour has left five million children without access to an education. Educational opportunities for girls are lower than boys as they are expected to do domestic work or marry at an early age.

Our two schools, the Bethany School and the Abdi Academy are today providing the poorest children with a quality education, daily food, health care and family support. Our Children’s Village has two family homes which care for orphaned and at risk children. 

How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Mareshet. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Mareshet you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Stand by... almost there...