Kiyya lives with his younger sister and his mother in a rented house which is in a poor condition. The family have no furniture and sleep on a grass mattress on the floor.
Sadly Kiyya's father left the family, so it is up to his mother to care for them alone. Kiyya's mother works as a daily labourer but is unable to work at the moment due to ill health. She receives some help and support from relatives to pay their rent and provide for her children, but life is very difficult for this family.
Learning of their situation, Kiyya has been accepted into the care of Stand by Me. With sponsorship support, Kiyya will now receive regular nutritious meals, access to healthcare and the opportunity of a great education. Kiyya is a cheerful boy with a lovable personality. He likes football and helping his mum with simple tasks at home. When he grows up Kiyya wants to be a doctor and serve his community.
Ethiopia is one of the poorest countries in the world. Famine, HIV/Aids and extreme poverty have resulted in millions of orphans and a life of hardship for the majority of its population. Nearly one million children are orphaned as a result of HIV/Aids. A lack of investment in education and a high dependency on child labour has left five million children without access to an education. Educational opportunities for girls are lower than boys as they are expected to do domestic work or marry at an early age.
Our two schools, the Bethany School and the Abdi Academy are today providing the poorest children with a quality education, daily food, health care and family support. Our Children’s Village has two family homes which care for orphaned and at risk children.
92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Kiyya. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.
When you sponsor Kiyya you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.
We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.
Ask us anything. We’ve helped sponsors change 1000s of kids’ lives, and we know it can be a big decision. We’re here to help you every step of the way.