Kasu lives with his mother in a rented house, which is in a good condition, although there is no furniture or beds in the house and they sleep on a grass mattress with old blankets. Sadly Kasu's father left the family, so it is up to Kasu's mother to now provide for her and her son. His mother works as a casual labourer, meaning she has to leave Kasu at home and return late in the evening.
Kasu's mother is deaf and she communicates with people in sign language. It is very difficult for her to provide for her son, and even to support herself. When some kind people noticed this, they offered food to support this family.
Learning of their difficulties, Kasu has been accepted into the care of Stand by Me where with sponsorship support he will now receive regular nutritious meals, access to healthcare and the opportunity of a great education. Kasu and his mother are very happy he has this opportunity to join Stand by Me and to receive sponsorship. Kasu comes to school happily. He likes playing football and trying to read English. He also likes math. He hopes that one day he will become a teacher. Kasu and his mum attend a local church for worship.
Ethiopia is one of the poorest countries in the world. Famine, HIV/Aids and extreme poverty have resulted in millions of orphans and a life of hardship for the majority of its population. Nearly one million children are orphaned as a result of HIV/Aids. A lack of investment in education and a high dependency on child labour has left five million children without access to an education. Educational opportunities for girls are lower than boys as they are expected to do domestic work or marry at an early age.
Our two schools, the Bethany School and the Abdi Academy are today providing the poorest children with a quality education, daily food, health care and family support. Our Children’s Village has two family homes which care for orphaned and at risk children.
92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Kasu. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.
When you sponsor Kasu you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.
We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.
Ask us anything. We’ve helped sponsors change 1000s of kids’ lives, and we know it can be a big decision. We’re here to help you every step of the way.