Roba is the youngest in his family with one older brother and an older sister. They live together with their widowed mum in a single room mud house, which they rent from the government. They do not have much in the home by way of furniture or practical items to help with cooking or good bedding. They buy their drinking water, or collect water, a fifty minute walk away. Roba's mum does regular labour work like washing clothes and other local activities, but the income is low and they are not able to buy enough nutritious food on this amount.
Stand by Me have accepted Roba into the sponsorship programme where with the help of support, he can have a nutritious diet and access to education and health care services.
Roba is a confident and friendly boy. He enjoys going to school and loves to study Afan Oromo (native language). He wishes to be a pilot one day. His favourite colour is white and his favourite game to play is football. He likes cats, and his favourite food is cooked peas. He is from a Christian family and attends church with his mum and his siblings.
Ethiopia is one of the poorest countries in the world. Famine, HIV/Aids and extreme poverty have resulted in millions of orphans and a life of hardship for the majority of its population. Nearly one million children are orphaned as a result of HIV/Aids. A lack of investment in education and a high dependency on child labour has left five million children without access to an education. Educational opportunities for girls are lower than boys as they are expected to do domestic work or marry at an early age.
Our two schools, the Bethany School and the Abdi Academy are today providing the poorest children with a quality education, daily food, health care and family support. Our Children’s Village has two family homes which care for orphaned and at risk children.
92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Roba. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.
When you sponsor Roba you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.
We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.
Ask us anything. We’ve helped sponsors change 1000s of kids’ lives, and we know it can be a big decision. We’re here to help you every step of the way.