Meet Hanna

Aged 6, Ethiopia

Hanna has a twin sister and they live with their mum and other siblings in two-room mud house. This was built by her late father. They have a few bits of house furniture and kitchen utensils. They buy their drinking water locally and collect water from a local river. Hanna's mum does some labour work like washing clothes, and other domestic activities. She earns a small amount of money doing these, but the children are not able to receive a proper nutritious diet on this small income. 

Understanding the family situation, Hanna has been accepted into the Stand by Me sponsorship programme. With the help of sponsorship provision she'll have a nutritious diet, clothes, shoes, a life changing education and access to health care services, amongst other kinds of support. 

Hanna is an active, friendly and polite child. She is glad to be part of the lessons at the school, and to feel safe. She loves attending with her friends and enjoys singing. She is enjoying her learning and the food she receives. In her free time she has fun playing a local game like 'Gidu Fide' and skipping with her friends. When she grows up, Hanna says she would like to be a teacher. She is from a Christian family.

Where Hanna lives

Ethiopia is one of the poorest countries in the world. Famine, HIV/Aids and extreme poverty have resulted in millions of orphans and a life of hardship for the majority of its population. Nearly one million children are orphaned as a result of HIV/Aids. A lack of investment in education and a high dependency on child labour has left five million children without access to an education. Educational opportunities for girls are lower than boys as they are expected to do domestic work or marry at an early age.

Our two schools, the Bethany School and the Abdi Academy are today providing the poorest children with a quality education, daily food, health care and family support. Our Children’s Village has two family homes which care for orphaned and at risk children. 

How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Hanna. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Hanna you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Stand by... almost there...