Lati lives with his widowed mum and his younger sister in a single room rented mud house, which is not in a good condition. They have no bed to sleep on so sleep on the mud floor with no blankets and only small scarves to use to keep warm. They do not have house furniture or kitchen utensils and they have no clean drinking water but have to buy this, and collect other water from a well which belongs to their neighbour. Sadly Lati's dad died in 2020 and his mum was left to care for the family. She works selling crops when she can, at the local market, to earn a small amount of money. However, on this limited income she is unable to fulfil all the needs of her children; for their food, medical help, rent, clothing and school fees. Sometimes they have to skip meals if there is not enough to go around.
After visiting this family and learning of their needs, Stand by Me accepted Lati into the care of the Abdi Project. With sponsorship provision, the school are able to help him with a good education, nutritious food, health checks and other support and help.
Lati is a confident and friendly boy. He enjoys playing football. He likes cooked vegetables and his favourite colour is yellow. He likes sheep and he loves caring for them. Lati is from a Christian family and he loves attending church with his sister. He loves school and when he grows up he wants to be a medical doctor.
Ethiopia is one of the poorest countries in the world. Famine, HIV/Aids and extreme poverty have resulted in millions of orphans and a life of hardship for the majority of its population. Nearly one million children are orphaned as a result of HIV/Aids. A lack of investment in education and a high dependency on child labour has left five million children without access to an education. Educational opportunities for girls are lower than boys as they are expected to do domestic work or marry at an early age.
Our two schools, the Bethany School and the Abdi Academy are today providing the poorest children with a quality education, daily food, health care and family support. Our Children’s Village has two family homes which care for orphaned and at risk children.
92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Lati. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.
When you sponsor Lati you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.
We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.
Ask us anything. We’ve helped sponsors change 1000s of kids’ lives, and we know it can be a big decision. We’re here to help you every step of the way.