Meet Saladin

Aged 7, Ethiopia

Saladin has one older step-sister and an older step-brother. He lives with his father in a three room mud house which is owned by his uncle and who has allowed the family to live in it for a short period of time. Saladin’s siblings live in different places with their mother’s relatives. Sadly Saladin’s mother died some years ago. Saladin and his father have no house furniture or kitchen utensils and they sleep on a hay mattress on the floor. They fetch some water from the river and have to buy their drinking water. They are living in challenging conditions. His dad does work as a shoe shiner and gets a small amount of money for this but it does not cover their daily needs. 

Saladin was accepted into the Stand by Me Abdi project. With sponsorship provision, he will receive much support and practical help, which will be a blessing to him and his father. He will attend the Abdi school and learn new things. 

Saladin's favourite colour is red. He likes to eat cooked rice. His favourite animal is a goat and he likes playing football. Saladin has shared that he wants to be a teacher when he grows up. He is a confident, polite and friendly boy. Being from a Muslim family, Saladin regularly attends the mosque with his father.

Where Saladin lives

Ethiopia is one of the poorest countries in the world. Famine, HIV/Aids and extreme poverty have resulted in millions of orphans and a life of hardship for the majority of its population. Nearly one million children are orphaned as a result of HIV/Aids. A lack of investment in education and a high dependency on child labour has left five million children without access to an education. Educational opportunities for girls are lower than boys as they are expected to do domestic work or marry at an early age.

Our two schools, the Bethany School and the Abdi Academy are today providing the poorest children with a quality education, daily food, health care and family support. Our Children’s Village has two family homes which care for orphaned and at risk children. 

How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Saladin. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Saladin you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Stand by... almost there...