Meet Mahilet

Aged 7, Ethiopia

Mahilet is an only child living with her widowed mum in a rented single room mud house, with very few facilities or house utensils. They sleep on a straw mattress. They buy their drinking water locally and collect other water from a nearby river. Mahilet's mum only earns a small income doing labour work. 

Learning of their situation Stand by Me have gladly accepted Mahilet to be part of the Abdi Academy sponsorship programme. By being part of this care she will receive a good education, school materials, quality food, clothes, shoes, health checks and other kinds of support. 

Mahilet is a friendly and polite child. She is from a Christian family. She comes to school early and happily and is enjoying the new things she is learning. She likes eating cooked beans. In her free time she likes to play on the swing. One day she hopes to be a pilot. Her favourite colour is red.

Where Mahilet lives

Ethiopia is one of the poorest countries in the world. Famine, HIV/Aids and extreme poverty have resulted in millions of orphans and a life of hardship for the majority of its population. Nearly one million children are orphaned as a result of HIV/Aids. A lack of investment in education and a high dependency on child labour has left five million children without access to an education. Educational opportunities for girls are lower than boys as they are expected to do domestic work or marry at an early age.

Our two schools, the Bethany School and the Abdi Academy are today providing the poorest children with a quality education, daily food, health care and family support. Our Children’s Village has two family homes which care for orphaned and at risk children. 

How your donation is used

88% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Mahilet. We'll use the remaining 12% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Mahilet you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Stand by... almost there...