Meet Tarikua

Aged 5, Ethiopia

Tarikua has an older sister called Genet who is learning at the local government school. She is in grade 7. Tarikua's father used to work as a daily labourer, but sadly a number of years ago he fell from a building and is now unable to walk. Tarikua's mum tries to provide for the family by working as a daily labourer. The family is living in a kebele house with two rooms. The house has no facilities or furniture and they are sleeping on an old wooden bed and the children on a straw mattress. 

Tarikua has been accepted onto the Stand by Me sponsorship programme after the project witnessed the situation the family is in. She is so excited to get the opportunity to join the Bethany School, where with support, she can access a quality education in a loving environment, with daily meals and help. 

Tarkua comes to school by walking around 30 minutes. She loves the new environment. Creating relationships with others is not an issue for her, as she is a sociable girl. Tarikua enjoys playing with dolls and utensil toys. She is active in class and communicates with her classmates and teachers well. She attends the local church every Sunday. Red is her favourite colour and she likes to eat rice. Following her father's accident her ambition is to be a medical doctor.

Where Tarikua lives

Ethiopia is one of the poorest countries in the world. Famine, HIV/Aids and extreme poverty have resulted in millions of orphans and a life of hardship for the majority of its population. Nearly one million children are orphaned as a result of HIV/Aids. A lack of investment in education and a high dependency on child labour has left five million children without access to an education. Educational opportunities for girls are lower than boys as they are expected to do domestic work or marry at an early age.

Our two schools, the Bethany School and the Abdi Academy are today providing the poorest children with a quality education, daily food, health care and family support. Our Children’s Village has two family homes which care for orphaned and at risk children. 

How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Tarikua . We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Tarikua you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Stand by... almost there...