Meet Zerihun

Aged 5, Ethiopia

Zerihun lives with his mother in a one room rented house. His mother was a soldier but she was dismissed from the camp due to her pregnancy and started working as a housemaid. Zerihun's father is also a soldier but they do not know where he is. Zerihun's mother takes care of her child alone and struggles to meet their basic needs. They have no furniture and sleep on an old wooden bed sharing one blanket. 

Zerihun has now been accepted onto the Stand by Me Bethany School sponsorship programme, where with support, he can have access to a quality education, daily meals, school supplies and medical care. Zerihun's mother is so happy to get this opportunity for her child. 

Zerihun is a confident boy with a good character. He is happy to be a student. English is his favourite subject and he wants to be a doctor when he grows up. He enjoys playing football and loves the colour rose. Local bread with meat sauce is his favourite food. At home, he helps his mother by running errands. He is from a Christian family and enjoys praying.

Where Zerihun lives

Ethiopia is one of the poorest countries in the world. Famine, HIV/Aids and extreme poverty have resulted in millions of orphans and a life of hardship for the majority of its population. Nearly one million children are orphaned as a result of HIV/Aids. A lack of investment in education and a high dependency on child labour has left five million children without access to an education. Educational opportunities for girls are lower than boys as they are expected to do domestic work or marry at an early age.

Our two schools, the Bethany School and the Abdi Academy are today providing the poorest children with a quality education, daily food, health care and family support. Our Children’s Village has two family homes which care for orphaned and at risk children. 

How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Zerihun. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Zerihun you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Stand by... almost there...