Meet Amarti

Aged 6, Ethiopia

Amarti is an only child who lives with her parents in a humble mud-made home. When we met this family we discovered they were having to sleep on the floor on a mattress. Their toilet facilities were in a poor condition, they had very few kitchen utensils and their home was in need of repair. Amarti's mother does labour work to generate an income for the family but she receives a minimal amount and the work is not regular. Amarti's father is sick from a chronic condition which means he is unable to work. Things are very challenging for them.

Stand By Me have decided to include Amarti in the sponsorship programme of care and so she has been enrolled into the Abdi academy. With support she will be provided with a quality education, the school materials she needs, uniform, shoes and daily nutritious meals. She will also receive medical checks and care, and loving support through sponsorship. 

Amarti like playing volleyball, her favourite colour is white and she loves to eat cooked meat. She likes going to school and is eager to learn. Being from a Christian family, Amarti enjoys going to Church and singing songs.

Where Amarti lives

Ethiopia is one of the poorest countries in the world. Famine, HIV/Aids and extreme poverty have resulted in millions of orphans and a life of hardship for the majority of its population. Nearly one million children are orphaned as a result of HIV/Aids. A lack of investment in education and a high dependency on child labour has left five million children without access to an education. Educational opportunities for girls are lower than boys as they are expected to do domestic work or marry at an early age.

Our two schools, the Bethany School and the Abdi Academy are today providing the poorest children with a quality education, daily food, health care and family support. Our Children’s Village has two family homes which care for orphaned and at risk children. 

How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Amarti. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Amarti you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Stand by... almost there...