Meet Bekamti

Aged 6, Ethiopia

Bekamti lives with her mum and siblings in their home made of hardened earth. They do not have a bed to sleep on, so sleep on a mattress. They have a make-shift side room which houses their toilet facilities and have limited contents. These living conditions are a challenge. Very sadly, Bekamti's dad passed away from an injury he sustained, so they are struggling without him. 

After identifying Bekamti's family struggles, Stand By Me were pleased to invite her to join the Abdi Academy. Through sponsorship support, she will have access to an education, be provided with nutritious food, medical help and many other blessings. 

Bekamti likes playing 'qodaqodoshe' (a local game) with her friends. She enjoys eating cooked meat. She is an active and friendly child. Her favourite colour is green and her favourite subject is Afan Oromo (the local language). When she grows up she would like to be a medical doctor. She attends church every Sunday with her family and likes singing songs.

Where Bekamti lives

Ethiopia is one of the poorest countries in the world. Famine, HIV/Aids and extreme poverty have resulted in millions of orphans and a life of hardship for the majority of its population. Nearly one million children are orphaned as a result of HIV/Aids. A lack of investment in education and a high dependency on child labour has left five million children without access to an education. Educational opportunities for girls are lower than boys as they are expected to do domestic work or marry at an early age.

Our two schools, the Bethany School and the Abdi Academy are today providing the poorest children with a quality education, daily food, health care and family support. Our Children’s Village has two family homes which care for orphaned and at risk children. 

How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Bekamti. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Bekamti you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Stand by... almost there...