Meet Biniyam

Aged 6, Ethiopia

Biniyam lives with his grandmother and uncle. Sadly his mother passed away when Biniyam was just 8 days old, and his father's whereabouts is unknown. His grandfather also died after sustaining an injury, so things have been tough for Biniyam. The family live in challenging conditions in a make-shift home. Biniyanm's grandmother takes care of him and the home whilst his uncle works doing daily labour jobs to earn what he can to care for the family. However, covering house rent, medication, food and schooling is just not possible on such a low income. 

Stand by Me have been so pleased therefore to accept Biniyam to join the Abdi Academy sponsorship programme. With support he will receive a free education, food, medication, clothes and shoes. 

Biniyam is a confident and friendly boy. He is very happy to be at school. His favourite subject is Environmental Science, and he enjoys eating cooked meat. He loves to play football with his friends and when he is older he would like to be a teacher. He is eager in attending church with his family and likes to sing songs.

Where Biniyam lives

Ethiopia is one of the poorest countries in the world. Famine, HIV/Aids and extreme poverty have resulted in millions of orphans and a life of hardship for the majority of its population. Nearly one million children are orphaned as a result of HIV/Aids. A lack of investment in education and a high dependency on child labour has left five million children without access to an education. Educational opportunities for girls are lower than boys as they are expected to do domestic work or marry at an early age.

Our two schools, the Bethany School and the Abdi Academy are today providing the poorest children with a quality education, daily food, health care and family support. Our Children’s Village has two family homes which care for orphaned and at risk children. 

How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Biniyam. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Biniyam you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Stand by... almost there...