Boja lives with his mum and his older brother Abdisa. They live in a small rented mud house, sleeping on an old mattress. Sadly Boja’s father died in a car accident when Boja was only a toddler. His mum works as a daily labourer to provide for her children. Life is very difficult for the family.
Understanding the challenges faced by the family, Boja was accepted into the Stand by Me school where with support he can receive a great education, nutritious meals and access to healthcare, shoes and a uniform.
Boja likes playing football. He has an interest in learning. He is very happy to be a student and wants to be a governor when he is older.
Ethiopia is one of the poorest countries in the world. Famine, HIV/Aids and extreme poverty have resulted in millions of orphans and a life of hardship for the majority of its population. Nearly one million children are orphaned as a result of HIV/Aids. A lack of investment in education and a high dependency on child labour has left five million children without access to an education. Educational opportunities for girls are lower than boys as they are expected to do domestic work or marry at an early age.
Our two schools, the Bethany School and the Abdi Academy are today providing the poorest children with a quality education, daily food, health care and family support. Our Children’s Village has two family homes which care for orphaned and at risk children.
92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Boja. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.
When you sponsor Boja you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.
We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.
Ask us anything. We’ve helped sponsors change 1000s of kids’ lives, and we know it can be a big decision. We’re here to help you every step of the way.