Meet Kaku

Aged 7, Ethiopia

Kaku is an only child. He lives with his widowed mum in a rented single room mud house. They sleep on a worn hay mattress on the floor. Kaku had just one set of clothes and shoes. Kaku's mum does some labour work to try and earn a living but it is difficult for women to find this kind of work, and it is a challenge to be able to support her family. 

Understanding Kaku's family's living conditions, Stand by Me accepted Kaku into the Abdi Academy programme, where with sponsorship provision, he is able to receive a free education, food, clothes, shoes, medical services among other areas of support and care. 

Kaku is a bit shy but is a polite child who is interested in learning his lessons at school. Since he joined the academy he has made some friends. His favourite subject is English. He likes the colour is blue. He enjoys eating cooked potato. During his spare time Kaku enjoys playing a local game called 'qoda qodashe'. He says that when he grows up he wants to be a teacher. He is from a Christian family and goes to church with his mum on a regular basis.

Where Kaku lives

Ethiopia is one of the poorest countries in the world. Famine, HIV/Aids and extreme poverty have resulted in millions of orphans and a life of hardship for the majority of its population. Nearly one million children are orphaned as a result of HIV/Aids. A lack of investment in education and a high dependency on child labour has left five million children without access to an education. Educational opportunities for girls are lower than boys as they are expected to do domestic work or marry at an early age.

Our two schools, the Bethany School and the Abdi Academy are today providing the poorest children with a quality education, daily food, health care and family support. Our Children’s Village has two family homes which care for orphaned and at risk children. 

How your donation is used

88% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Kaku. We'll use the remaining 12% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Kaku you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Stand by... almost there...