Meet Fenet

Aged 7, Ethiopia

Fenet is an only child. She lives with her parents in a rented single room mud house. They have little by way of house furniture, kitchen utensils or bedding. Fenet's mum is the only bread winner in the family. She sells vegetables at the local markets for a small income. Fenet's dad is unwell, but tries to care for Fenet. 

Being in need of a good education, a balanced diet, medication when needed, shoes, and clothes, Fenet was considered for entering the care of Stand by Me. She was accepted to join the Abdi Academy sponsorship programme and she is very happy about it. 

Fenet is a friendly and active girl. She is happy and eager to learn her lessons at school and enjoys math the most. When she grows up, she wants to be a teacher. In her spare time she enjoys playing a local game called 'Qoda Qodoshe'. She likes the colour green. Fenet loves singing songs. She is from a Christian family.

Where Fenet lives

Ethiopia is one of the poorest countries in the world. Famine, HIV/Aids and extreme poverty have resulted in millions of orphans and a life of hardship for the majority of its population. Nearly one million children are orphaned as a result of HIV/Aids. A lack of investment in education and a high dependency on child labour has left five million children without access to an education. Educational opportunities for girls are lower than boys as they are expected to do domestic work or marry at an early age.

Our two schools, the Bethany School and the Abdi Academy are today providing the poorest children with a quality education, daily food, health care and family support. Our Children’s Village has two family homes which care for orphaned and at risk children. 

How your donation is used

88% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Fenet. We'll use the remaining 12% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Fenet you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Stand by... almost there...