Meet Sena

Aged 8, Ethiopia

Sena lives with her parents and two step sisters in a three-room mud house. Sena and her family live in difficult conditions. The family have no tap water at home and usually get drinking water from the nearby river, which is about a ten minute walk away. Sena's parents have no permanent income. Her mother stays home to care for her children whilst her husband does labour work and earns a small amount. 

Now part of the Stand by Me Abdi Academy school, Sena, with sponsorship provision, can enjoy nutritious meals, clothing, medication and a great education. 

Sena is a friendly and polite girl. She is very happy at school where she has made many friends. Her favourite subject is math. When she is older she wants to be a teacher.

Where Sena lives

Ethiopia is one of the poorest countries in the world. Famine, HIV/Aids and extreme poverty have resulted in millions of orphans and a life of hardship for the majority of its population. Nearly one million children are orphaned as a result of HIV/Aids. A lack of investment in education and a high dependency on child labour has left five million children without access to an education. Educational opportunities for girls are lower than boys as they are expected to do domestic work or marry at an early age.

Our two schools, the Bethany School and the Abdi Academy are today providing the poorest children with a quality education, daily food, health care and family support. Our Children’s Village has two family homes which care for orphaned and at risk children. 

How your donation is used

88% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Sena. We'll use the remaining 12% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Sena you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Stand by... almost there...