Meet Kamil

Ethiopia

Kamil lives with his parents and siblings. They are a muslim family and live in a two room mud house. Kamil sleeps with his siblings on mats on the floor.  They don't have any furniture or kitchen utensils and collect water from the river, 10 minutes walk away. Kamil only had one pair of worn out shoes and a single set of clothes when we met him. Kamil's dad suffered injury after falling from a tree. They struggle to make ends meet and sometimes neighbours help with food. As a result of these very difficult circumstances Stand By Me accepted Kamil into its programme. We are now providing him with a nutritious diet, free education, clothes, shoes and health care services. Kamil enjoys  school and loves learning English and ‘Afan Oromo’ (a local language)  the alphabet and numbers. He dreams of being a taxi driver one day. He likes to play a local game called  ‘Qoda Qodeshe’ and running.

Where Kamil lives

Ethiopia is one of the poorest countries in the world. Famine, HIV/Aids and extreme poverty have resulted in millions of orphans and a life of hardship for the majority of its population. Nearly one million children are orphaned as a result of HIV/Aids. A lack of investment in education and a high dependency on child labour has left five million children without access to an education. Educational opportunities for girls are lower than boys as they are expected to do domestic work or marry at an early age.

Our two schools, the Bethany School and the Abdi Academy are today providing the poorest children with a quality education, daily food, health care and family support. Our Children’s Village has two family homes which care for orphaned and at risk children. 

How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Kamil. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Kamil you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Contact form image
Stand by... almost there...