Meet Abate

Ethiopia

Abate has a twin brother, one half-sister and one half-brother. They all live in the countryside and work there as shepherds because the family cannot look after them due to insufficient income.   Abate also has twin younger sisters.  Abate’s father works as a daily labourer and his mother is a housewife. They live in two rooms which are rented.

Abate has been accepted into the Stand By Me School where with sponsorship support he can receive fresh meals and a quality education. 

Abate is a humble boy. He is good at making friends with others.  He loves to plays football.  His ambition is to be a teacher one day.


Where Abate lives

Ethiopia is one of the poorest countries in the world. Famine, HIV/Aids and extreme poverty have resulted in millions of orphans and a life of hardship for the majority of its population. Nearly one million children are orphaned as a result of HIV/Aids. A lack of investment in education and a high dependency on child labour has left five million children without access to an education. Educational opportunities for girls are lower than boys as they are expected to do domestic work or marry at an early age.

Our two schools, the Bethany School and the Abdi Academy are today providing the poorest children with a quality education, daily food, health care and family support. Our Children’s Village has two family homes which care for orphaned and at risk children. 

How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Abate. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Abate you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Contact form image
Stand by... almost there...