Meet Birtukan

Aged 6, Ethiopia

Birtukan lives with her mother, step-father and three sisters in a rented one room mud house. Birtukan’s mother makes and sells baskets in the market, but the income is limited and does not meet their basic needs.  

The Stand by Me school were pleased to enrol Birtukan and this is a great help to not only her, for her education, but to her whole family. With sponsorship support, Birtukan has access to fresh meals medical checks and an education. This opportunity is giving all of them some hope for the future.  

Birtukan is very energetic. She enjoys skipping and playing dodge ball with her friends and is part of a children’s choir.

Where Birtukan lives

Ethiopia is one of the poorest countries in the world. Famine, HIV/Aids and extreme poverty have resulted in millions of orphans and a life of hardship for the majority of its population. Nearly one million children are orphaned as a result of HIV/Aids. A lack of investment in education and a high dependency on child labour has left five million children without access to an education. Educational opportunities for girls are lower than boys as they are expected to do domestic work or marry at an early age.

Our two schools, the Bethany School and the Abdi Academy are today providing the poorest children with a quality education, daily food, health care and family support. Our Children’s Village has two family homes which care for orphaned and at risk children. 

How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Birtukan. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Birtukan you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Contact form image
Stand by... almost there...