Meet Charu

Aged 7, Ethiopia

Charu lives with his parents and three brothers in a rented mud home. His father has back pain and is unable to stand easily, so his mother tries to earn money working in different households however she is also suffering with ill health. Life is very difficult for this family. 

After considering their situation Stand by Me accepted Charu to join its school, where with sponsorship support he has access to an education with emotional support, meals and access to medical care.

Charu is a loveable character. He enjoys learning Affan Orom (local language), his favourite subject. He says he wants to be a doctor and treat patients when he is older.

Where Charu lives

Ethiopia is one of the poorest countries in the world. Famine, HIV/Aids and extreme poverty have resulted in millions of orphans and a life of hardship for the majority of its population. Nearly one million children are orphaned as a result of HIV/Aids. A lack of investment in education and a high dependency on child labour has left five million children without access to an education. Educational opportunities for girls are lower than boys as they are expected to do domestic work or marry at an early age.

Our two schools, the Bethany School and the Abdi Academy are today providing the poorest children with a quality education, daily food, health care and family support. Our Children’s Village has two family homes which care for orphaned and at risk children. 

How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Charu. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Charu you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Contact form image
Stand by... almost there...